Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
(a) (i) the Master of Business Administration degree of this University, or equivalent as recognised by the Faculty, at a level that satisfies the Faculty that the student has the capacity to complete the Doctor of Business Administration; or
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
(3) Students seeking to re-enrol in the course after being assigned a progress status of 'Excluded' must submit, after a period of at least 12 months, sufficient reason to the Faculty, in writing, demonstrating why an improvement in performance could reasonably be expected.
(4) Students who have been assigned a progress status of 'Excluded' and are subsequently permitted by the Faculty to re-enrol are assigned a progress status of 'On Probation' and must meet any conditions determined by the Faculty.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction
13. The time limit is three years from the date of first enrolment in the course for a full-time student or the equivalent as determined by the Faculty's Board of Higher Degrees by Research for a part-time student.
[Approved exception to University Policy]
Submission and examination of thesis
14. The thesis must be a sound and rigorous piece of original research, the findings of which provide a significant and original contribution to scholarship through their contribution to the understanding of management or business issues, policies, strategies or practice.
[Approved addition to University Policy]
[Approved exceptions and additions to University Policy]
(a) the Director of Doctoral Programs and supervisor(s) must recommend to the Faculty's Board of Higher Degrees by Research the names of three examiners, all of whom must be external to the University;
(5) Before appointing examiners for the thesis the Faculty's Board of Higher Degrees by Research may refer the thesis to the Director of Doctoral Programs for a report on its form and content and to the University Librarian for a report on its physical form.
(7) A thesis declared unfit in terms of (6) may be resubmitted only if accompanied by a certificate from both the Director of Doctoral Programs and the University Librarian confirming that it has been put into a form suitable for examination.
Submission of progress report(s)
Approved leave (suspension of candidature)
16. The Board of Higher Degrees by Research may, on written application, grant a period or periods of approved leave, called suspension of candidature, which unless the Board, in recognition of exceptional circumstances, approves otherwise will not exceed one year throughout the duration of candidature.