Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3.(1) To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
(2) Applicants with qualifications from institutions where English is not the medium of instruction must provide evidence of English Language Competence, with applicants presenting with the IELTS Academic requiring an overall score of at least 7.5, with no sub-score less than 7.0.
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8.(1) A student who does not pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units for which they are enrolled, or who fails the same unit twice, will not have made satisfactory progress.
[Approved addition to University Policy]
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
10.(1) Students who pass the School Experience (teaching practicum) unit(s) but do not pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units in which they are enrolled are assigned the progress status of 'Suspended' by the Faculty.
(2) Students who pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units for which they are enrolled but who fail a School Experience (teaching practicum) unit are, if the committee described in Rule 12(1) so recommends under that rule, assigned the progress status of 'Excluded' by the Faculty.
(3) Students who do not pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units for which they are enrolled and who fail a School Experience (teaching practicum) unit are assigned the progress status of 'Excluded' by the Faculty.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction
13. All students enrolled in the Master of Science Communication and Education must comply with the professional requirements as outlined in the 'Faculty policies and guidelines' in the Faculty of Education.
Failure to pass a School Experience (teaching practicum) unit
(3) If the Faculty permits a student to repeat a teaching practicum, it will determine whether the practicum may be repeated in the same or a subsequent year, taking into consideration the student's overall performance in the course.
15. The Faculty may grant credit towards the course up to a maximum total value of 48 points to a student who has completed the Graduate Diploma in Education of this University, or equivalent as recognised by the Faculty.
16. The Faculty, on the recommendation of the course coordinator, may permit a student to substitute for a unit referred to in Group A one other relevant unit of equivalent value at Level 4 or higher offered in this University or in any comparable course in another recognised institution.