Note: This course is only available to re-enrolling students.
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The http://handbooks.uwa.edu.au/postgraduate/student-procedures'>student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
(2) A student who has previously achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module is not required to repeat the module.
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the http://www.governance.uwa.edu.au/procedures/policies/policies-and-procedures?method=document&id=UP16/5'>University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
4.(1) To be considered for admission to this course an applicant must have—
(a) (i) a bachelor's degree, or an equivalent qualification, as recognised by UWA; or
(ii) a Graduate Certificate in Population Health Studies, or an equivalent qualification, as recognised by UWA;
(b) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 60 per cent.
(2) Applicants who have or have had a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' against courses 91550 or 92550 are not eligible for admission.
Admission ranking and selection
5. Where relevant, admission will be awarded to the highest ranked applicants or applicants selected based on the relevant requirements.
Articulations and exit awards
6.(1) The following courses form part of an articulated sequence:
- 91230 Graduate Certificate in Population Health Studies (24 points)
- 91550 Master of Public Health (72 points)
- 92560 Master of Public Health (96 points)
(2) A student who withdraws from the Master of Public Health course before completing it, but after fulfilling the requirements of a lesser award in the above sequence, may apply for the relevant award.
7.(1) The course consists of units to a total value of 96 points.
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8. Students will not have made satisfactory progress if they—
(a) fail a core unit twice;
(b) within a calendar year, fail more than half the units they remained enrolled in after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
[Approved exceptions to University Policy]
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
10.(1) A student who does not make satisfactory progress under Rule 8 for the first time is assigned the progress status of 'Suspended' by the Faculty.
(2) A student who does not make satisfactory progress under Rule 8 for a second time is assigned the progress status of 'Excluded' by the Faculty.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction
12. To be awarded the degree with distinction a student must achieve a course weighted average mark (WAM) of at least 80 per cent, which is calculated based on —
(a) all units above Level 3 attempted as part of the course that are awarded a final percentage mark;
(b) all relevant units above Level 3 undertaken in articulating courses of this University that are awarded a final percentage mark;
(c) all units above Level 3 completed at this University that are credited to the master's degree course.
13. Unless the Faculty permits otherwise in recognition of exceptional circumstances, credit will normally only be granted for coursework completed within the last five years.
[Approved exception to University Policy]