Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Education
This course fosters interdisciplinary discussion and collaboration and is designed to suit a range of health professionals who seek to develop their knowledge and skills as educators within the health professions. The course explores teaching and learning, assessment, research methods in health professions education and offers participants a range of options in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences.
- Course title
- Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Education
- Award abbreviation
- Course code
- Course type
- postgraduate certificate
- current / 2019
- Administered by
- Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- CRICOS code
- Intake periods
- Beginning of year only
- Attendance type
- full- or part-time (Student visa holders should read Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 for more information.)
- Credit points required
A standard full-time load is 24 points per semester.
- Standard course duration
- 0.5 years
- Time limit
- 2 years
- Delivery mode
- Locations offered
- UWA (Perth)
- Domestic fee type
- Postgraduate fee-paying/FEE-HELP
- Course Coordinator(s)
- Professor Sandra Carr
- Visit the fees calculator.
Prospective students should see the Future Students website for details on admission requirements, intake periods, fees, availability to international students, careers information etc.
|Key to availability of units:|
|S1 = Semester 1; S2 = Semester 2; N/A = not available in 2019|
All units have a value of six points unless otherwise stated.
Note: Units that are indicated as N/A may be available in 2020 or 2021.
Take all units (18 points):
|S1, S2||IMED5801||Principles of Teaching and Learning|
|S1||IMED5802||Principles of Assessment and Evaluation|
|S1, S2||IMED5803||Introduction to Research in Health Professions Education|
Take unit(s) to the value of 6 points:
|S1||IMED5804||Clinical Teaching and Supervision|
|S1, S2||IMED5805||Innovation and Contemporary Issues in Health Professions Education|
|S1||IMED5806||Simulation and Interprofessional Learning in Health Professions Education|
|S2||IMED5831||Advanced Simulation in Health Professional Education|
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The http://handbooks.uwa.edu.au/postgraduate/student-procedures'>student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3.(1) To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
1A relevant bachelor's degree includes a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, and a bachelor's degree in a health, biomedical or biological sciences-related discipline.
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
- 90210 Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Education (24 points)
- 91340 Graduate Diploma in Health Professions Education (48 points)
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8. To make satisfactory progress in a calendar year a student must pass units to a value of at least half the total value of units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.