Graduate Diploma in Infectious Diseases
This course provides advanced training in the field of infectious diseases including topics in medical microbiology, tropical infectious diseases, and public and environmental health microbiology. Units have a practical emphasis enhanced by laboratory classes. The course is aimed at science-based and medical professionals intending to work in hospital diagnostic or research laboratories, medical clinics, government health departments and international agencies.
- Course title
- Graduate Diploma in Infectious Diseases
- Award abbreviation
- Course code
- Course type
- postgraduate diploma
- current / 2018
- Administered by
- Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- CRICOS code
- Intake periods
- Beginning of year only
- Attendance type
- full- or part-time (Student visa holders should read Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 for more information.)
- Credit points required
A standard full-time load is 24 points per semester.
- Standard course duration
- 1 year
- Time limit
- 4 years
- Delivery mode
- Locations offered
- UWA (Perth)
- Domestic fee type
- Commonwealth supported and/or HECS-HELP
- Course Coordinator(s)
- Professor Barbara Chang
- Visit the fees calculator.
Prospective students should see the Future Students website for details on admission requirements, intake periods, fees, availability to international students, careers information etc.
|Key to availability of units:|
|S1 = Semester 1; S2 = Semester 2|
All units have a value of six points unless otherwise stated.
Take all units (48 points):
|S1||MICR5829||Foundations of Infectious Diseases|
|S1||MICR5830||Principles of Mycology and Parasitology|
|S2||MICR5832||Diagnostic Medical Microbiology|
|S2||MICR5834||Tropical, Travel and Remote Area Infectious Diseases|
|S2||MICR5836||Public and Environmental Health Microbiology|
|S1||MICR5842||Principles of Infection and Immunity|
|S2||PUBH5761||Epidemiology and Control of Communicable Diseases|
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
1A relevant bachelor's degree includes a Bachelor of Science in a biomedical or biological discipline, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Dental Science, or a bachelor's degree in applied biomedical science or public health (medical technology, nursing, pharmacy, public health, and veterinary science).
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
- 51330 Graduate Diploma in Infectious Diseases (48 points)
- 52530 Master of Infectious Diseases (96 points)
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8. To make satisfactory progress in a calendar year a student must pass units to a value of at least half the total value of units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
10. The Faculty will assign a progress status of 'Excluded' to a student who has failed to make satisfactory progress under Rule 8 in any year, unless the Faculty determines otherwise in exceptional circumstances.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction
MICR5829 Foundations of Infectious Diseases
MICR5842 Principles of Infection and Immunity
MICR5830 Principles of Mycology and Parasitology;