Doctor of Social Work
The Doctor of Social Work is a research-based and research-driven advanced course for qualified social workers committed to their continuing professional education.
- Course title
- Doctor of Social Work
- Award abbreviation
- Course code
- Course type
- professional Doctorate by thesis and coursework
- current / 2018
- Administered by
- Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- CRICOS code
- Intake periods
- Throughout the year
- Attendance type
- full- or part-time (Student visa holders should read Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 for more information.)
- Credit points required
A standard full-time load is 24 points per semester.
- Standard course duration
- 3 years
- Time limit
- 6 years
- Delivery mode
- Locations offered
- UWA (Perth)
- Domestic fee type
- Commonwealth supported and/or HECS-HELP
- Course Coordinator(s)
- Dr Susan Young
- Visit the fees calculator.
Prospective students should see the Future Students website for details on admission requirements, intake periods, fees, availability to international students, careers information etc.
|Key to availability of units:|
|S1 = Semester 1; S2 = Semester 2|
All units have a value of six points unless otherwise stated.
Take all units (48 points):
|S2||SWSP9901||Advanced Research Methods in Social Work Part 1|
|S1||SWSP9902||Advanced Studies in Social Work Part 1|
|S2||SWSP9903||Advanced Theory and Practice in Social Work Part 1|
|S2||SWSP9904||Research Paradigms in Social Work Studies Part 1|
|S2||SWSP9907||Advanced Research Methods in Social Work Part 2|
|S1||SWSP9908||Advanced Studies in Social Work Part 2|
|S2||SWSP9909||Advanced Theory and Practice in Social Work Part 2|
|S2||SWSP9910||Research Paradigms in Social Work Studies Part 2|
Take unit(s) to the value of 96 points:
|S1, S2||SWSP9905||Doctor of Social Work Thesis (full-time) (96 points)|
|S1, S2||SWSP9906||Doctor of Social Work Thesis (part-time) (96 points)|
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8. To make satisfactory progress in a calendar year a student must pass units to a value of at least half the total value of units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
10.(1) Students who fail to make satisfactory progress under Rule 8 after being enrolled at the University for one or two semesters only are assigned a progress status of 'On Probation' by the Faculty.
(2) Unless the Faculty determines otherwise in exceptional circumstances, students who fail to make satisfactory progress under Rule 8 and who have been enrolled at the University for more than two semesters are assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' by the Faculty.
(3) Unless the Faculty determines otherwise in exceptional circumstances, students who have previously been allocated a progress status of 'Suspended' and fail again to make satisfactory progress under Rule 8 are assigned a progress status of 'Excluded' by the Faculty.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction