Master of Urban Design (coursework and dissertation)
This course is offered by the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Visual Arts and delivered by The Australian Urban Design Research Centre (formerly the Urban Design Centre of Western Australia). Students develop in-depth understanding of urban design theories and issues; techniques of urban analysis; and skills for the design and development of cities and urban places. Through their research by dissertation and/or design they design and implement a process to resolve a complex urban problem.
- Course title
- Master of Urban Design (coursework and dissertation)
- Award abbreviation
- Course code
- Course type
- master's degree by coursework and dissertation
- current / 2018
- Administered by
- Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education
- CRICOS code
- Intake periods
- Beginning of year and mid-year
- Attendance type
- full- or part-time (Student visa holders should read Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 for more information.)
- Credit points required
A standard full-time load is 24 points per semester.
- Standard course duration
- 2 years
- Time limit
- 5 years
- Delivery mode
- Locations offered
- UWA (Perth)
- Domestic fee type
- Postgraduate fee-paying/FEE-HELP
- Course Coordinator(s)
- Jill Penter
- Visit the fees calculator.
Prospective students should see the Future Students website for details on admission requirements, intake periods, fees, availability to international students, careers information etc.
|Key to availability of units:|
|S1 = Semester 1; S2 = Semester 2|
All units have a value of six points unless otherwise stated.
Take all units (48 points):
|S1, S2||URBD5802||Urban Design Studio 2 (12 points)|
|S1||URBD5804||Urban Design Studio 1 (12 points)|
|S1||URBD5807||The Forces that Shape Cities|
|S1||URBD5808||Case Studies in Urban Design|
|S1, S2||URBD5820||Urban Design Research Methods|
Take unit(s) to the value of 48 points:
|S1, S2||URBD5821||Urban Design Dissertation (full-time) (48 points)|
|S1, S2||URBD5822||Urban Design Dissertation (part-time) (48 points)|
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
- 25530 Master of Urban Design (96 points)
(2) A student who withdraws from the Master of Urban Design course before completing it, but after fulfilling the requirements of a lesser award in the above sequence, may apply for the relevant award.
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8.(1) Subject to (2) and (3), to make satisfactory progress in a calendar year a student must pass units to a value of at least half the total value of units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
(2) Students who remain enrolled in URBD5804 Urban Design Workshop or URBD5802 Urban Design Studio after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty in two or more teaching periods in a calendar year must pass at least one of those units.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction