Graduate Certificate in Studies
This Graduate Certificate in Studies articulates with the Master of Studies and allows students to do the initial four units of optional breadth before progressing into the full master's degree. The course is designed for graduates who have diverse personal and/or professional interests and want to pursue those interests through postgraduate study. The course provides students the opportunity to further their education by choosing, in consultation with the course adviser, a unique combination of postgraduate units to develop a course to achieve their personal and/or professional goals. The course will develop students' higher order thinking skills, knowledge and communication by considering complex problems and issues from the perspectives of different disciplines. The course is unique at UWA by enabling students to draw on a broad range of postgraduate units offered by different schools and faculties.
- Course title
- Graduate Certificate in Studies
- Award abbreviation
- Course code
- Course type
- postgraduate certificate
- current / 2018
- Administered by
- Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education
- Intake periods
- Beginning of year and mid-year
- Attendance type
- full- or part-time (Student visa holders should read Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 for more information.)
- Credit points required
A standard full-time load is 24 points per semester.
- Standard course duration
- 0.5 years
- Time limit
- 2 years
- Delivery mode
- Locations offered
- UWA (Perth), any other campus
- Domestic fee type
- Postgraduate fee-paying/FEE-HELP
- Course Coordinator(s)
- Dr Chantal Bourgault du Coudray
- Visit the fees calculator.
Prospective students should see the Future Students website for details on admission requirements, intake periods, fees, availability to international students, careers information etc.
In consultation with the course adviser, students will complete 24 points (4 units) of breadth from elective units available in all faculties.
At the completion of the 24 points (4 units) of the course, each student may decide whether to articulate into the Master of Studies.
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
- 00200 Graduate Certificate in Studies (24 points)
- 00500 Master of Studies (96 points)
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8. To make satisfactory progress in a calendar year a student must pass units to a value of at least half the total value of units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.