Diploma in Modern Languages (10300)
The information contained in this course overview is intended only as a guide and is not part of the rules for this course. For further information (including links to unit details) consult the rules for this course and the Student Rules.
- Award abbreviation
- Course type
- undergraduate diploma
- current / 2018
- Intake periods
- beginning of year only
- Administered by
- Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education
- Credit points required
A standard full-time load is 24 points per semester.
- About this course
- The Diploma in Modern Languages is for undergraduate students at UWA who wish to study a language major alongside their current bachelor's degree. By enrolling in a diploma, students typically extend the overall time it takes to complete their studies by one year, which frees up space to concentrate on other things in their bachelor's degree.
Students in the Diploma in Modern Languages elect to study a major sequence in either Chinese (Mandarin), Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, French, Italian or German.
Students in this course may apply to study some units of their course overseas. A Study Abroad or Student Exchange experience gives students the opportunity to immerse themselves in their chosen language, obtain first-hand experience of another culture and way of life, and meet new people and form friendships.
- In addition to the requirements of the concurrent undergraduate degree, students must complete units to a total value of 48 points.
- Available to international students
- Attendance type
- part-time only
- Delivery mode
- Standard part-time completion
- 4 years
- Locations offered
- UWA (Crawley), Albany (Italian major only)
- Domestic fee type
- Commonwealth supported and/or HECS-HELP
- Majors available
- Asian languages: Chinese (Mandarin), Indonesian, Japanese, Korean; European languages: French, Italian, German
- Honours available
- Yes. See rules
- Honours code
- Visit the fees calculator.
Enquiries and course advice
- Course advice
- Student Office (Facutly of Arts)
- 6488 2091
- Direct enrolment in this course without undertaking a concurrent degree is not permitted. The diploma normally adds one year to the duration of the degree and is awarded to the student on completion of the degree course. The course is available to students with no prior knowledge of a language as well as to those who have completed several years of language study.