UWA Handbook 2017

Postgraduate admission

The University may consider an applicant for admission to a postgraduate degree course if the applicant—

  • has qualified for a bachelor's degree of this University or for an equivalent qualification from an approved institution relevant to the chosen area and mode of study; or
  • provides appropriate evidence of general and professional qualifications or vocational experience that satisfies the University that the applicant possesses the capacity to undertake study at an appropriate level in the relevant course; and
  • has satisfied any course prerequisites or additional selection criteria prescribed for a particular course.

All applicants to the University must demonstrate English language competency through a pass in an approved test of English. Some courses have additional requirements. Refer to details listed separately for particular courses in the Graduate Research School and faculty sections.

A successful applicant who subsequently enrols in a particular course is subject to all relevant rules and requirements.


Enquiries regarding entry requirements and application procedures should be made to Future Students and Admissions (telephone: +61 8 6488 2477 or email: admissions@uwa.edu.au) for coursework applications; or the Graduate Research School (telephone: +61 8 6488 2807; email: pghelp@postgraduate.uwa.edu.au) for research applications. Detailed course information can also be obtained from the relevant Faculty. Refer to the UWA Scholarships website for information about postgraduate scholarships.

Postgraduate coursework applications are submitted online and processed by Admissions; however, different application procedures apply for postgraduate research courses. Refer to the relevant course information on the Future Students website for information on how to apply.


Most postgraduate courses attract tuition fees. Fee-paying students are normally required to pay the prescribed fee up-front by the due date. However, postgraduate students who are unable to pay their fees and are Australian citizens may access a loan called FEE-HELP which is funded by the Commonwealth Government.

Some research courses are funded by the Government through the Research Training Scheme (RTS). Students in such courses who are Australian or New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents and have been granted an RTS place by the University are not required to pay tuition fees.

International students will be charged an international student fee rate, which must be paid up front by the due date.

Refer to University fees and charges and fees for postgraduate degrees by research for information about different fees, funding types and loan schemes.