Students who commenced their course before 2012 should consult the rules below.
Note: (1) This course is only available to re-enrolling students.
(2) The Bachelor of Science component of this course is derived from the Bachelor of Science (50110) course.
(3) Choice of units must be approved by the Faculties.
(4) A student who, as a result of successive failures in a unit, is not permitted to re-enrol in that unit, or in further units in the same subject, in accordance with University Policy and Faculty of Science Rule 126.96.36.199, may not be able to continue in the combined course.
Applicability of the general provisions188.8.131.52 The general provisions in 11.1.1 apply to the course.
Course structure184.108.40.206(1) The combined course for the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science consists of units to a total value of at least 216 points and no more than 228 points comprising a Bachelor of Arts component to the value of 108 points and a Bachelor of Science component to the value of 108 to 120 points.
(2) A student must complete at least one of the majors listed for the Bachelor of Arts component in Rule 220.127.116.11(2)(a) and at least one major sequence for a major listed for the Bachelor of Science component in Rule 18.104.22.168(1)(b).
(3) Unless otherwise approved by the Progress Committee, all units in any subject area listed in 22.214.171.124 are counted towards the Bachelor of Arts component, and all units in any subject area listed in 126.96.36.199 are counted towards the Bachelor of Science component.
Bachelor of Arts component188.8.131.52(1) The Bachelor of Arts component consists of units to a total value of 108 points comprising—
(a) Level 1 units to the value of 36 to 54 points from Table 3.2.2a (Bachelor of Arts options) in the Faculty of Arts Rules;
(b) Level 2 or 3 units to make up the remaining number of points required for the component from Table 3.2.2a (Bachelor of Arts options) in the Faculty of Arts Rules.
(2) The units chosen under (1)—
(a) must include the requirements for at least one of the following majors:1
Classics and Ancient History
Mathematics and Statistics
Medieval and Early Modern Studies
Political Science and International Relations
(b) must not include Level 1 units in any one subject area to a total value greater than 12 points;
(c) must not include Level 2 and 3 units in any one subject area to a total value greater than 66 points, unless the Faculty approves otherwise in exceptional circumstances.
(3) A student who completes a major in Mathematics and Statistics in the Bachelor of Arts component must not complete any major in Mathematics or Statistics in the Bachelor of Science component.
1 The requirements for these majors are set out in 3.2.2 of the Faculty of Arts Rules.
Bachelor of Science component184.108.40.206(1) The Bachelor of Science component consists of units to a total value of 108 to 120 points from Table 9.2.2a [Recognised units for the Bachelor of Science (50110)] in the Faculty of Science Rules including—
(a) Level 1 units to the value of 24 to 36 points chosen in consultation with a Faculty Adviser that could lead to at least three science majors as set out in 9.2.6 of the Faculty of Science Rules—24 to 36 points
(b) Level 2 units to a minimum value of 24 points from at least two Science subject areas and including those listed for the major sequence for at least one of the following majors:1
Anatomy and Human Biology
Astronomy and Astrophysics
Climate and Environment
Land, Soil and Water
Marine and Coastal Management
Sport Science, Exercise and Health
(c) Level 3 units to the value of at least 24 points to complete the chosen major or majors.
(2)(a) A student who has passed WACE Mathematics 3A/3B, but not passed WACE Mathematics 3C/3D or TEE Applicable Mathematics or equivalent must complete either MATH1711 Introductory Mathematics Specialist or STAT1400 Statistics for Science or SCIE1104 Science, Society and Data Analysis.
(b) A student who has passed WACE Mathematics 2C/2D, but not passed WACE Mathematics 3A/3B or equivalent must complete MATH1701 Introductory Mathematics Foundations and either STAT1400 Statistics for Science or SCIE1104 Science, Society and Data Analysis.
(c) A student who has passed TEE Discrete Mathematics only or equivalent must complete MATH1701 Introductory Mathematics Foundations.
1 The major sequences for these majors are set out in 9.2.6 of the Faculty of Science Rules.
Credit220.127.116.11(1) Unless otherwise approved by the Progress Committee, if credit is granted for previous study it will be granted only for Level 1 and 2 units.
(2) Credit may be granted for—
(a) studies completed at any other approved institution; and/or
(b) units to a maximum value of 24 points passed through Continuing Education in or after 1995.