Students who commenced their course before 2012 should consult the rules below.
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures220.127.116.11(1) The Student Rules in the Student Procedures, Rules and Policies section apply to students in this course.
Admission18.104.22.168(1) The Faculty, on the recommendation of the relevant head(s) of school(s), may admit into the course for the Bachelor of Science honours degree (5011H) an applicant who—
(a) has completed the requirements for the Bachelor of Science (50110) pass degree of this University or its equivalent;
(b) has achieved an average of at least 65 per cent in the Level 3 units of the relevant major, or equivalent;
(c) unless the Faculty approves otherwise in recognition of exceptional circumstances, has completed within the previous four years the final unit or units of the major subject in which they intend to proceed to honours;
(d) has satisfied any additional prerequisites determined by the Faculty as set out in the Rules for the relevant Bachelor of Science honours programs in Rule 9.2.8A.
(2) A student who completes the requirements of the pass degree in semester one may be granted permission to enrol in the honours course from semester two of the same year.
(3) In exceptional circumstances, and on the recommendation of the head of school concerned, the Faculty may permit a student who requires 12 points or fewer to complete the pass degree to enrol in the course for the degree with honours.
(4) A student who is permitted to enrol in the honours course under (3) will in no circumstances become eligible for the award of the degree with honours until the requirements of the pass degree are complete.1
1 Results for the honours course will not be made available until the student has completed the requirements for the pass degree.
Course structure22.214.171.124 The course consists of units to the value of 48 points comprising—
(a) one of the honours programs set out in Rule 9.2.8A;
(b) a course recommended by the relevant head of school and approved by the Faculty, which must include a dissertation.
Joint honours126.96.36.199 The Faculty may approve joint honours courses, which may be arranged by one or more schools.
Enrolment188.8.131.52 Students in the honours course are normally required to enrol full-time, but the Faculty may permit a student to enrol part-time on the recommendation of the head of school or program coordinator.
Credit184.108.40.206(1) The Faculty may grant credit towards the course up to a value of six points.
(2) In exceptional circumstances, the Faculty, on the recommendation of the relevant head of school, may grant additional credit.
Approval of supervision arrangements220.127.116.11 Supervision arrangements require the approval of the Faculty.
Progression for part-time students18.104.22.168 In the case of a part-time student, re-enrolment in the course is conditional upon the Board of Examiners for the Bachelor of Science reporting satisfactory progress.
Satisfactory progress22.214.171.124 To make satisfactory progress in the course, students must pass all units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
[Approved exception to University Policy]
Progress status126.96.36.199 Unless the Faculty approves otherwise in recognition of exceptional circumstances, a student who fails to make satisfactory progress is assigned a progress status of 'Excluded'.
Withdrawal from course188.8.131.52 Unless the Faculty permits otherwise in recognition of exceptional circumstances—
(a) a full-time student who withdraws from the honours course after the completion of one semester of enrolment, or a part-time student who withdraws from the honours course after the completion of two semesters of enrolment, will be declared to have failed the honours course;
(b) a full-time student will not be permitted to transfer to part-time enrolment after the beginning of their second semester of enrolment.
Time limit184.108.40.206(1) A full-time student must complete the requirements for the course within one year.
(2) A part-time student must complete the requirements for the course within two years.
[Approved exceptions to University Policy]
(3) A student permitted to enrol in the honours course in terms of Rule 220.127.116.11(3) must complete the remaining requirements for the pass degree by the date on which the Board of Examiners considers the results of supplementary and deferred examinations in that year.
(4) Unless the Faculty gives written approval for an extension of time in recognition of exceptional circumstances—
(a) a student who enrols in the honours course at the beginning of semester one must complete all requirements by the last day of the final examination period in the final year of enrolment in the course;
(b) a student who enrols in the honours course at the beginning of semester two must complete all requirements by the last day of the semester one examination period in the final year of enrolment in the course.