VISA3050 Advanced Studio
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the Fine Arts major sequence
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This unit is the first core unit of the Fine Arts major and is a conceptual development unit that prepares students for completion of their studies in the final capstone unit (VISA3051 Advanced Major Project). Based in the studio, students research theoretical concepts and explore the practical development of works that conceptually model an advanced creative art proposition. In addition to the development of an illustrative body of works, all students are expected to participate in peer group discussion seminars and develop a written proposition that effectively communicates their conceptual model for VISA3051 Advanced Major Project.
- Students are able to (1) maintain a disciplined approach to their art investigations and develop effective modes of self-directed practice; (2) develop a high level of practical skills in appropriate media and technology; (3) summarise and articulate inventive conceptual/theoretical frameworks; (4) selectively use creative strategies and sound research practices to express ideas; and (5) complete a cohesive conceptual model for the development of well-resolved artworks.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) theoretical summary; (2) illustrative submission; and (3) seminar presentation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Ionat Zurr
- Unit rules
- one of the following: VISA2050 Video Art: Experimental Investigations; VISA2051 Curatorial Practices; VISA2214 Aesthetic Crossovers of Art and Science; VISA2249 Art and Life Manipulation; VISA2270 International Studio for Art and Culture; VISA2272 Art of the Graphic Novel; VISA2273 Art of Drawing—Advanced (formerly VISA2273 Art of Drawing—Transdisciplinary Practices)
- Contact hours
- seminars and studio tuitions: 3 hours per week for 12 weeks
- Unit Outline
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.