ACCT2112 Management Accounting
- 6 points
(see Summer Timetable)
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Summer teaching period||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the Accounting major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- This unit provides an introduction to the role of cost accounting in organisations. It focuses on the fundamental tools and approaches used for classifying and assigning the various types of costs incurred in an organisation. Tools for planning and control (including master budget, flexible budgets and variances), and cost information for decisions (including cost behaviour, decision making and relevant information) are also studied.
- Students are able to (1) describe the role of the accountant in the organisation; (2) explain the different types of cost terms and purposes; (3) apply cost-volume-profit analysis techniques; (4) employ various cost accumulation systems including job order costing and activity-based costing; (5) prepare the operating budget and its supporting schedules; (6) compute and interpret various variances including direct cost and overhead cost variances; (7) apply various cost estimation techniques including high-low and least-squares methods; (8) use various pricing approaches including cost-plus and target costing; and (9) work in teams to produce clear and concise written communication of management accounting information for both accounting and non-accounting audience..
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) in class participation; (2) group assignment; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Thanes Subraamanniam (Semester 1), Dr George Shan (Semester 2), Professor Vincent Chong (Summer School)
- Unit rules
- ACCT1101 Financial Accounting
- ACCT1112 Management Accounting
- Contact hours
- lectures/Practical Classes/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.