ACCT2201 Corporate Accounting
- 6 points
(see Summer Timetable)
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Summer teaching period||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the Accounting major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- This is an intermediate unit in financial accounting with a primary focus on accounting for companies. Current Australian practice is examined and integrated with broader theoretical perspectives, seeking to provide the student with a comprehensive and up to date understanding of the key relevant issues in the current corporate accounting environment.
- Students are able to (1) explain and discuss the theoretical principles behind corporate financial reporting; (2) critically evaluate the appropriateness of accounting requirements; (3) interpret and apply the specific requirements of a range of accounting standards issued by the Australian Accounting Standards Board (AASB); (4) apply the principles of accounting for tax, and identify and analyse the differences between the accounting and tax treatments for various transactions; (5) account for non-current assets with a particular focus on goodwill and its nature; (6) account for liquidations and/or business combinations; and (7) discuss and apply the concepts of consolidation to the preparation of consolidated financial statements for wholly owned entities.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) group assignment; (2) online quiz; and (3) examinations. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Ms Fe'ama Brass (Semester 1 and Semester 2), Collette Chesters (Summer School)
- Unit rules
- ACCT1101 Financial Accounting
- Contact hours
- lectures/Practical Classes/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1 [SEM-1]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.