ARCT5519 Independent Design Development
- 6 points
- This unit is intended to allow students the opportunity to undertake detailed development of one or more aspects of a design project completed in a previous Master of Architecture studio unit or the Independent Design Research unit. Projects that are to be developed must have been completed to at least a schematic level and achieved a satisfactory assessment outcome.
This unit should be undertaken in the semester immediately following the unit in which the schematic project was completed. There should be no longer than a gap of one semester between the completion of the prerequisite unit and the commencement of this development unit.
Detailed research, exploration and resolution could be pursued in one of a number of areas, including (but not limited to) the technological, material, environmental, spatial or theoretical. Students would typically produce work in either or both digital and manual formats.
Key objectives of the unit are: (1) to enhance students' understanding of the important design development process in the context of an architectural project; (2) to encourage depth of design research, exploration and resolution; (3) through the aggregation of one 12-point studio with this 6-point option unit to facilitate the production of more highly developed projects within students' portfolios as the prepare for future employment within the architecture profession.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate understanding of the design development process and the work product associated with this stage of an architectural project; (2) identify the appropriate avenues for research and investigation in order to successfully develop and resolve an aspect of an architectural project; and (3) apply the knowledge and skills appropriate to the in-depth development of one or more aspects of their scheme and leading to a refined and resolved project outcome.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) mid-semester design development journal and (2) final folio submission. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sophie Giles
- Unit rules
- This unit is intended to allow students to further develop a project (or one aspect of a project) that has been resolved at a schematic level in a previous Master of Architecture studio unit. Prerequisite includes any one of the Master of Architecture studio units (ARCT5001 Architectural Design 5a, ARCT5002 Architectural Design 5b, ARCT5003 Architectural Design 5c, ARCT5004 Architectural Design 5d , ARCT5005 Architectural Studio 5e)
ARCT5502 Independent Design Research.
Achieved at least 65 per cent in the most recently completed studio.
- Contact hours
- studio: 3 hours per week for 12 weeks
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.