ARLA1030 Structures and Natural Systems
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 complementary unit in the Landscape Architecture major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 elective
- This unit provides students with an understanding of constructional and site manipulation knowledge in relation to architectural design; the generic practices in the construction of both traditional and contemporary buildings and site works; the applicability of sustainable practices and sciences in the design of constructed human environments; Indigenous cultural connection to and rights with relation to land; basic drawing techniques; and basic technical terminology and an understanding of materials.
- Students are able to (1) construct small-scale technical drawings; (2) illustrate how small-scale built elements are constructed and how this information is conveyed in a drawing; (3) apply techniques for recording contextual information about sites including basic surveying skills and knowledge of contours; (4) measure and draw basic construction details; and (5) compare and contrast the fundamental properties of building materials such as where they come from, how they are used and their essential structural properties.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) small structure assignment—measured drawings of a small-scale built structure; (2) site survey and contour assignment—site survey drawing of the site surrounding the small structure; and (3) detail diary—a diary of selected standard construction details. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Assistant Professor Kirill de Lancastre Jedenov
- Unit rules
- ARCT1030 Structures and Natural Systems
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.