CHIN1001 Chinese 3A
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the CHNSP Chinese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit enhances students' basic social proficiency in Chinese at intermediate level, augmenting CHIN1103 Chinese Intermediate 1 or CHIN1403 Chinese 3 with emphasis on more sophisticated spoken and written Chinese. It gives students practical background in both Chinese language and Chinese culture. Students consolidate what they learned in secondary school Chinese, especially the grammar, and expand their vocabulary.
The unit is for students who have completed Chinese: Second Language at secondary school to the level of WACE Stage 2 (or equivalent) and is available only to students in their first year of Chinese at this University. It is run parallel to CHIN1403 Chinese 3 and aims to reinforce and solidify knowledge of grammar, syntax and vocabulary taught in first year, significantly expand vocabulary and oral and written fluency, and extend student capacity in all four language areas (speaking, listening, writing and reading) of contemporary Chinese. It broadens Chinese language and cultural knowledge.
- Students are able to (1) converse in spoken and written form about everyday topics at lower intermediate level; (2) develop a sound understanding of the construction of Chinese characters and grammar; (3) master the most commonly used Chinese characters and compose informative sentences and passages; and (4) achieve reasonable understanding of successful second language acquisition and apply research skills.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation; (2) tests; and (3) assignments. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Huilin Sun
- Unit rules
- WACE Chinese: Second Language CSL 2A/2B
- WACE Chinese: Second Language CSL 3A/3B
CHIN2201 Chinese Intermediate Bridging
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- This unit is for post-secondary WACE Stage 2 stream students.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.