CHIN1403 Chinese 3
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the CHNSP Chinese Studies; CHNSI Chinese Studies major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit follows on from CHIN1402 Chinese 2 and provides the foundation for further developing linguistic and cultural competency. The unit continues to develop the four linguistic skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and increases students' effective communication skills to meet routine practical and social demands that are relevant to them at tertiary level. Special emphasis is placed on consolidating and expanding student knowledge and recognition of Chinese characters, words, phrases and sentences. The unit also equips students with the ability to use dictionaries and be able to read new materials in the target language.
- Students are able to (1) develop a consolidation of their current Chinese language base; (2) describe in detail about themselves, friends and family; (3) converse with Chinese speakers regarding current occupation and future aspirations; (4) master the most commonly used Chinese characters; (5) compose simple but informative sentences and passages in Chinese characters; (6) refine generic skills such as understanding oneself and others, understanding the language in general; and (7) critically analyse by learning to express their ideas and performing assigned tasks in the Chinese language.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) participation; (2) tests; and (3) assignments. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Huilin Sun
- Unit rules
- ATAR CSL (Chinese: Second Language)
WACE Chinese: Second Language CSL 3A/3B
(WACE Chinese: Second Language CSL 2A/2B and co-requisite CHIN1001 Chinese 3A)
- CHIN1001 Chinese 3A if student has only completed WACE Chinese Second Language CSL 2A/2B
- CHIN1103 Chinese Intermediate I
CHIN2203 Chinese Intermediate I
CHIN2403 Chinese 3
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.