CHIN2003 Translation for Beginners: English to Chinese
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- This unit is designed to further develop the existing linguistic and communication skills in English and Chinese of International Chinese students via regular translation practice of English to Chinese in well-structured workshops. Translation is recognised as an ideal way of improving proficiency in two languages. By equipping students with foundation translation skills, such as comparative analysis of Chinese and English grammar and semantics, it caters for the special needs of international students with native or near native Chinese language proficiency (listening and speaking) and literacy (reading and writing characters) who are studying in an English language environment. It provides students with a fully informed and language rich alternative to available courses directly relevant to their experiences, studies and future careers.
Students may also study CHIN2004 Translation for beginners: Chinese to English.
- Students are able to (1) obtain knowledge and understanding of Chinese and English through practical translation workshops; (2) learn to engage with the ideas and perspectives of different cultural practices; (3) learn to analyse linguistic issues in Chinese and English critically and creatively; (4) develop analytical skills in synthesising and contextualising new information in both languages and cultures; (5) develop skills and confidence in participating in public discussion in both languages; and (6) develop writing skills in both languages.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) workshop activities; (2) group project; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite standard(s) for the workshop activities component of the unit, as specified in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Xianlin Song
- Unit rules
- native speakers competence and literacy in Chinese
CHIN2408 Chinese 8
CHIN3408 Chinese 8
- CHIN1003 Special Unit: Translation for Beginners: English to Chinese
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week over 13 weeks
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.