CHIN3409 Chinese 9
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the CHNSA Chinese Studies major sequence
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This unit introduces Chinese for business as it is used in business settings and also covers business-related cultural issues. It is designed to further specialise language skills, and develop cultural awareness as well as knowledge of international trade and of doing business in China. Authentic texts are used and topics include international travel, negotiation, contracts, insurance, transport and visiting factories. The unit is taught in Chinese only. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the ISLPR Level 4+ (International Second Language Proficiency Ratings).
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate a competent language ability and cultural awareness to move between the Chinese and English business worlds; (2) develop techniques for higher skills of thinking and the ability to carry out business and other issues in the global world; (3) critically analyse Chinese language in formation; (4) carry out specific written and oral tasks, utilising their understanding of grammar and different language registers; and (5) perform tasks in and through Chinese language, such as the locating of information in the Chinese world, using new vocabulary, precis of historical and social developments, understanding academic arguments and synthesis as well as presentation of findings.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) paticipation; (2) assignment; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Yu Tao
- Unit rules
- CHIN2408 Chinese 8
CHIN3307 Chinese Specialist I
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- This unit is suitable for native Chinese speakers (as assessed by the unit coordinator).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.