CHIN3410 Chinese 10
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the CHNSA Chinese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This unit provides students with specialised language and cultural skills relating to Chinese trade as well as knowledge of government regulations, cultural factors and customs. It is designed to equip students with the ability to carry out business in the Chinese business world. The unit consists of topics and readings relating to advertising, technology trade, barter trade, compensation trade and leasing. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the ISLPR Level 5 (International Second Language Proficiency Ratings) or New HSK Level 6 (New Chinese Proficiency Test) or CEFR C1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate a competent language ability and cultural awareness to move between the Chinese and English business worlds; (2) develop techniques for higher skills of thinking and the ability to carry out business and other issues in the global world; (3) critically analyse Chinese language in formation; (4) carry out specific written and oral tasks, utilising their understanding of grammar and different language registers; and (5) perform tasks in and through Chinese language, such as locating of information in the Chinese world, using new vocabulary, precis of historical and social developments, understanding academic arguments and synthesis as well as presentation of findings.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) participation; (2) assignment; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Yu Tao
- Unit rules
- CHIN3409 Chinese 9
CHIN3308 Chinese Specialist II
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- Native Chinese speakers can enrol in this unit without having previously completed a Chinese language unit at UWA. If you are a native Chinese speaker, please directly contact your student office to declare this, if your enrolment is invalid.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.