COMM5602 Online Journalism
- 6 points
|Not available in 2019||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit examines a crucial aspect of journalism—the emerging world of online communication. It analyses the impact of social media, the challenges of paid content online and what blogging has done to journalism. It also analyses the impact of online journalism on the way news is covered. The unit provides the opportunity through assessments to write as online journalists.
- Students are able to (1) understand how the digital media developed and transformed the traditional press; (2) explain the challenges of new media: social media, paid content and 24-hour accessible news; (3) evaluate the positive and negative impact of online media on the news cycle; and (4) develop the skills to deliver online journalism as practitioners.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) online assignments and (2) essays. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Contact hours
- 24 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.