DENT5408 Australian Indigenous, Rural and Remote Oral Health 2
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Students gain knowledge and understanding of evidence of issues for rural, remote and Indigenous oral health.
- Students are able to (1) describe current health services delivery systems (and funding) for rural and remote Australians with a focus on dental care/oral health; (2) describe current health services delivery systems for Aboriginal Australians and their funding with a focus on dental care/oral health; (3) identify barriers and facilitators to improving rural and remote oral health in Australia and what we can learn from overseas; (4) identify barriers and facilitators to improving the oral health of Aboriginal Australians and what we can learn from national and international evidence; (5) describe international models of oral care and what these might contribute to our knowledge of Rural and Indigenous Oral Health; (6) describe and reflect on current perspectives by different stakeholders regarding rural and remote oral health; (7) describe and reflect on current perspectives by different stakeholders regarding oral health of Aboriginal Australians; (8) identify and extract current best practice initiatives in Aboriginal and rural/remote dental care and consider how this might enlighten your clinical practice.; and (9) describe key examples of current rural and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian health research and how this might inform dental research.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) australian Indigenous, rural and remote oral health written exam and (2) australian Indigenous, rural and remote oral health assignment. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Linda Slack-Smith
- Unit rules
- DENT5401 Research and Professional Development 1,
DENT5402 Integrated Dental Practice 1,
DENT5403 Integrated Dental Practice 2 and
DENT5404 Australian Indigenous, Rural and Remote Oral Health 1
- DENT5405 Research and Options 2,
DENT5406 Integrated Dental Practice 3 and
DENT5407 Integrated Dental Practice 4
Approved quota: 56—domestic (50) and international (6). For school leavers—rural (3), Metropolitan Pathway (3), Indigenous (3), high academic achievement (5), international (3). For graduates—rural (2), Metropolitan Pathway (2), Indigenous (2), international (3), graduates (30).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.