ECON1111 Quantitative Methods for Business and Economics
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Mathematical and Physical Sciences
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Commerce students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit is designed to prepare students' quantitative capabilities to the standard required for further study in business and other relevant fields. Topics include linear and non-linear functions, basic calculus, financial mathematics, and probability and introductory statistics.
- Students are able to (1) solve unknowns in equations representing business activities and economic concepts; (2) determine the shape of functions using calculus techniques; (3) compute present value of assets and use compound interest rates to evaluate returns of financial data; (4) understand the concepts of events and of discrete random variables, and basic properties of probabilities; and (5) compute present value of assets and use compound interest rates to evaluate returns of financial data.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) tutorial activities; (2) tests; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Inga Kristoffersen
- Unit rules
- Mathematics Applications (ATAR)
WACE Mathematics 2C/2D
TEE Discrete Mathematics
MATH0700 Preparatory Mathematics
- Mathematics Methods (ATAR)
higher; WACE Mathematics 3A/3B
higher; TEE Applicable Mathematics; TEE Calculus;
MATH1701 Introductory Mathematics Foundations
- Contact hours
- lectures/Practical Classes/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1 : https://lms.uwa.edu.au/bbcswebdav/xid-4069750_1
Semester 2 : https://lms.uwa.edu.au/bbcswebdav/xid-4069762_1
- This unit is compulsory for all undergraduate Business School students who have passed WACE Mathematics 2C/2D or TEE Discrete Mathematics only.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.