EDUC5470 English Curriculum II
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit is for pre-service teachers who plan to teach secondary school English. It provides a theoretical framework for teaching, learning and assessment. Familiarity is developed with current curriculum documents. Through active participation in workshops, students develop an understanding of strategies for effective teaching and learning, skills for planning and programming, development of instructional materials and resources and develop an understanding of issues relevant to English teaching.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an awareness of the developmental and diverse learning needs of adolescent learners in English; (2) display a repertoire of teaching and learning strategies relevant to the secondary English curriculum; (3) display a detailed understanding of the current Western Australian English curriculum; (4) display sound specialist content knowledge in English and Literature; (5) plan and evaluate varied instruction for effective and engaging learning; (6) evaluate and develop instructional resources for secondary English, including a range of educational technologies and approaches to learning; and (7) apply a range of assessment and evaluation processes and strategies.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) critical reflection and workshop participation; (2) lesson planning and programming; and (3) assessment and moderation task. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite standard(s) for the critical reflection and workshop participation, lesson planning and programming, and assessment and moderation task components of the unit, as specified in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Jennifer Shand
- Unit rules
- EDUC5460 English Curriculum I
EDUC5481 Professional Practice I and enrolment in either the Graduate Diploma in Education
the Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- EDUC5482 Professional Practice II
EDUC5500 Professional Practice B
- Advisable prior study:
- at least six units in one of the English subjects taught in schools such as literature, history of literature, drama
media studies, with at least two Level 3 units
- Contact hours
- 30 contact hours (150 hours total time commitment). Further information available in the unit outline.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.