EDUC5509 Interventions for Learning
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit develops students' expertise in the planning, delivery and assessment of targeted interventions in early childhood, primary or secondary education within a 10-day professional practice placement. Options include interventions in numeracy, literacy, or other learning area/s, to be negotiated with the unit coordinator. Students plan a focused intervention project for individual school students or groups of students. The project represents a response to a particular need identified at individual, group, class or school level in consultation with school partners. The unit contains a strong action–reflective practice and research informed dimension.
- Students are able to (1) develop an evidence based plan of action on the basis of diagnostic assessment or other information (data) about an individual child, or group of children; (2) implement and evaluate a short-term intervention in a selected curriculum learning area; (3) report on the intervention to parents/carers; (4) meet professional ethics and responsibilities; (5) seek and apply constructive feedback from mentor teachers to improve practice; (6) critically review an area of research literature as appropriate to the intervention; (7) write a scholarly research report; and (8) engage in classroom-based research.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) a research proposal/plan aligned with five days professional practice; (2) five days professional practice; and (3) a research report in conjunct aligned with five days of professional practice. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite standard(s) for the a research proposal/plan aligned with five days professional practice, five days professional practice, and a research report in conjunct aligned with five days of professional practice components of the unit, as specified in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Christine Howitt
- Contact hours
- 150 hours plus 10 days professional practice
- Conditions for Professional Practice units:
(1) A current Department of Education National Police History Check and a Working with Children Clearance must be presented before any student undertakes professional practice in schools. If a clearance is not given a student must approach the Department of Education for permission to proceed (see Professional requirements). Students are required to read, sign and adopt the Graduate Studies of Education (GSE) Professional Code of Conduct.
(2) Students must gain a pass grade on assessments in core and curriculum units in which they are concurrently enrolled.
(3) Students must pass the Pre-service Teacher Language Competence Test. Unsatisfactory results will be reviewed by a panel of three course coordinators.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.