EDUC5658 Education Policy Trends: Global to Local
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit develops the themes of mapping the conceptual terrain of policy, and globalisation and internationalisation. Global trends in education policy (devolution, accountability, privatisation, marketisation, school choice, curriculum, international education) are also covered. This unit also covers other policy domains as identified by student interests, as well as future policy scenarios.
- Students are able to (1) define 'policy' and discuss its complex and contested nature as an actively negotiated process which extends between the policy intent of central authorities and everyday practices in schools and classrooms; (2) recognise and discuss the growing impact of globalisation and internationalisation on education policy and practices; (3) identify and analyse contemporary education policy trends globally, nationally and locally; (4) examine and assess the changing nature of policy directions in the domains of devolution, accountability, privatisation, marketisation, school choice, funding, curriculum and international education, and critique the implications of these changes for practices in schools and classrooms; (5) critically evaluate future education policy scenarios; and (6) select and apply appropriate conceptual tools to analyse educational policies and practices at global, national, state and local levels, focusing on a policy area of personal interest and relevance.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) a group presentation and (2) an essay. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Lesley Vidovich
- Contact hours
- 2 hours per week for 13 weeks
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1 : http://www.unitoutlines.education.uwa.edu.au/Units/EDUC5658/SEM-1/2018
TS-A-1F : http://www.unitoutlines.education.uwa.edu.au/Units/EDUC5658/TS-A-1F/2018
TS-A-1G : http://www.unitoutlines.education.uwa.edu.au/Units/EDUC5658/TS-A-1G/2018
Selected readings are available in Course Materials Online.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.