EMPL3208 Managing Diversity
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the Work and Employment Relations major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This unit aims at familiarising students with contemporary developments in the management of workplace diversity. Through Australian and international case studies the unit evaluates the policies and theoretical frameworks informing organisational strategies that relate to gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age and family responsibilities. Students design and execute a group research project involving organisations, managers and experts in the field, from which they gain practical and analytical skills in effective diversity management.
- Students are able to (1) understand current developments in the management of workplace diversity; (2) relate diversity issues to sociological and feminist theories of work and organisations; (3) identify and analyse the effectiveness of management strategies that promote workplace diversity in areas including gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age and family responsibilities; (4) develop experience and capability in qualitative research design and methodology; (5) design and implement a practical team based research project to investigate the management of workplace diversity in an actual organisation; and (6) demonstrate enhanced written, oral, information literacy and interpersonal communication skills through participation in a team based research project, and through the presentation of the findings of that research to a diverse audience.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation ; (2) group project; and (3) final examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Renata Casado
- Unit rules
- EMPL2202 Australian Employment Relations
- EMPL2208 Managing Diversity
- Contact hours
- lectures/Practical Classes/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.