FINA2207 Business Analysis and Valuation
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 option in the Finance major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- This unit emphasises how parties external to the company employ publicly available information, company reports and financial market information to evaluate the current, and predict the future, financial condition of the company. The analytical techniques of financial statement analysis (e.g. fundamental analysis, cash flow analysis and pro forma analysis) and the issue of the reliability and quality of publicly available information are discussed and explored. Analytical tools are applied in different decision contexts such as equity valuation, mergers and acquisitions, lending decisions and the evaluation of managerial performance.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate knowledge of how fundamental or intrinsic firm values are estimated; (2) demonstrate an awareness of business strategies and activities that create value; (3) discuss the relevance of cash flows, dividends, earnings and book values in firm valuation and integrate profitability into a firm's value; (4) explore and evaluate the determinants of a firm's market-to-book ratio (P/B) and also its price-earnings ratio (P/E); (5) produce a clear and concise written equity research report; and (6) deliver oral presentations that are clear and coherent.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) individual assessments; (2) project; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Mahmoud Agha
- Unit rules
- FINA1221 Introduction to Finance;
FINA2221 Introduction to Finance
- Advisable prior study:
- ACCT2201 Corporate Accounting (formerly ACCT2201 Introduction to Corporate Accounting)
- ACCT3302 Financial Statement Analysis
- Contact hours
- lectures/Practical Classes/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.