FINA2222 Corporate Financial Policy
- 6 points
(see Summer Timetable)
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Summer teaching period||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the Finance major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- This unit develops a basic knowledge of finance from the corporate financial manager's point of view, and develops skills in planning and decision making in the financial area. Topics include dividend and capital structure decisions; cost of capital; risk management; debt and convertible securities; and the application of option pricing theory to equity, debt and real options.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate the ability to evaluate the capital structures of particular companies and an awareness of current developments in this area; (2) compute the weighted average cost of capital for a firm taking into account the tax environment and analyse the impact of future changes in capital structure on the firm and its stakeholders; (3) identify the reasons why firms restructure via mergers and acquisition and determine the effect on firm value; and (4) apply the valuation techniques to the appraisal of real and financial assets.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) online quizzes; (2) case study; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Joey Yang (Semester 1), Dr Chloe Ho (Semester 2), Dr Russell Poskitt (Summer School)
- Unit rules
- FINA1221 Introduction to Finance;
FINA2221 Introduction to Finance
- Contact hours
- lectures/Practical Classes/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1 [SEM-1]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.