FINA5530 Managerial Finance
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Trimester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Trimester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face Trimester 3 UWA (Perth) Face to face Trimester 3 Online Online
- This unit introduces concepts in finance. Topics covered include capital markets; interest rates; valuing projects and financial instruments (bonds, equity, derivatives); capital budgeting; risk and return relationships, diversification and portfolio theory.
- Students are able to (1) understand the objectives of financial management; (2) understand the Time Value of Money concept and apply it to solve financial problems; (3) evaluate capital investment proposals and understand the implications and limitations of the main evaluation methods; (4) value both debt and equity securities; (5) understand the concepts of risk, risk aversion and diversification; and (6) explain the relation between returns and risk proposed by the asset pricing models.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) participation and practice; (2) project; and (3) final examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Russell Poskitt
- Unit rules
- ACCT5602 Accounting
MGMT5513 Data Driven Decision Making; enrolment in the Master of Business Administration (coursework)
the Master of Business Administration (coursework and dissertation);
approval from the Faculty of Business only, which will be determined with regard to relevant documented professional work experience.
- FINA5432 Introduction to Finance
- Contact hours
- for trimester teaching periods—lectures/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week; for non-standard teaching period—up to 5 hours per week over 7 weeks; online-nil
- Unit Outline
- TRI-1 : http://www.unitoutlines.biz.uwa.edu.au/Units/FINA5530/TRI-1/2018
TRI-2 : http://www.unitoutlines.biz.uwa.edu.au/Units/FINA5530/TRI-2/2018
TS-G-1D : http://www.unitoutlines.biz.uwa.edu.au/Units/FINA5530/TS-G-1D/2018
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.