FREN1403 French Studies 3
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the FRNHI French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This language unit is designed for students with WACE Stage 2 or WACE Stage 3 French or with an equivalent knowledge of the French language. It further improves students' grammar and vocabulary, develops cultural and linguistic awareness and focuses on contemporary spoken and written language used in France and other French-speaking countries. Students also study literary extracts by influential writers to gain a deeper understanding of French and francophone language and culture. The unit leads to FREN1404 French Studies 4 or FREN2404 French Studies 4.
- Students are able to (1) attain intermediate competency in French, assessed by way of in-class tests, quiz and role-plays; (2) develop oral comprehension and expression skills in the French language at an intermediate level through the use of French in language classes and as a result of regular work at home with set texts; (3) develop reading comprehension at an intermediate level by studying the passages in the set texts (literary and non-literary sources); (4) write competently at an intermediate level through regular exercises in the composition of standard grammatical structures; (5) achieve an enhanced mastery of English and an increased awareness of how language works in general (acquisition of metalinguistic skills); (6) develop interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively in pairs and small groups; (7) demonstrate intercultural understanding of French society and culture by reading and analysing texts in their historical, social and cultural context; and (8) acquire formal and independent learning skills, resulting from sustained effort and regular practice in class and at home with set texts and accompanying learning material. Students who pass this unit have achieved Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) class assignments and (2) an examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sabine Kuuse
- Unit rules
- ATAR FSL (French: Second Language)
WACE French FRE 2A/2B
WACE French FRE 3A/3B
approval of convener
- FREN1103 French Intermediate I
- Contact hours
- lectures: 1 x 1 hour per week (over 12 weeks); language classes: 1 x 2 hours per week (over 12 weeks)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.