FREN1406 French Studies 6
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the FRNHA French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This language unit is designed for near-native students who have completed FREN1405 French Studies 5. It furthers its outcomes by consolidating and expanding more fundamentals of French grammar and French and francophone cultures. It creates numerous opportunities for a deeper understanding of French as a foreign language. Students expand their cultural and language awareness by reading and engaging with a full-length text chosen for its cultural and literary merits. The unit leads to FREN2407 French Studies 7.
- Students are able to (1) consolidate and build on prior knowledge of French language and culture; (2) improve and extend written and oral expression in French in the classroom and authentic settings; (3) consolidate pronunciation and reading skills; (4) observe, analyse and imitate models of written and oral communication dealing with day-to-day topics; (5) practise using audiovisual and internet resources in class and independently; (6) acquire or reinforce their discipline about learning a foreign language by regular homework and preparations; and (7) enhance a metalinguistic understanding of French and English. Students acquire an advanced proficiency in writing and oral skills in French in the range B1 and B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) compositions/summaries; (2) in-class tests; (3) exposes/student-led projects; and (4) participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sabine Kuuse
- Unit rules
- FREN1405 French Studies 5
FREN1105 French Advanced I
- FREN1106 French Advanced II
- Contact hours
- language classes: 13 x 3 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.