FREN2403 French Studies 3
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the FRNHB French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This language unit is designed for students who have completed FREN1402 French Studies 2. It further improves students' grammar and vocabulary, develops cultural and linguistic awareness and focuses on contemporary spoken and written language used in France and other French-speaking countries. Students also study literary extracts by influential writers to gain a deeper understanding of French and francophone language and culture. Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
The unit leads to FREN2404 French Studies 4. Level 2 and Level 3 French units not only increase language competency but offer the opportunity to further engage with French history and culture, including literature, film and contemporary society, and to take advantage of a range of exchange opportunities, including short-term stays in Noumea or Paris.
- Students are able to (1) read and understand written French at an intermediate level; (2) identify and employ grammatical structures and write in French at an intermediate level; (3) express themselves in spoken French and understand spoken French at an intermediate level; (4) identify, describe and evaluate aspects of French culture and society; (5) identify and evaluate better the grammatical structures of English and the way that languages work in general; and (6) deploy more advanced interpersonal skills and independent learning skills.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) written tests; (2) in-class aural and oral comprehension test and participation; and (3) an examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Paul Gibbard
- Unit rules
- FREN1402 French Studies 2
FREN1102 French Beginners II
- FREN2203 French Intermediate I
- Contact hours
- lectures: 1 hour per week; language classes: 2 x 1 hour per week
- Unit Outline
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.