GEOG5011 Master's Research Project in Geography, Environment and Planning Part 1
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- The unit requires students to define a project and develop research questions or hypotheses, set objectives and aims, plan and execute the research, interpret the results and present those results in oral and written forms. The final output of the research project will be a research dissertation similar in content and context to a peer reviewed research article in an academic journal.
- Students are able to (1) gather background information relevant to a predefined field of enquiry; (2) develop skills to critically assess the relevant literature; (3) write a literature review and research proposal outlining the project; (4) collect relevant data involving primary and secondary sources as appropriate; (5) utilise appropriate means of quantitative and/or qualitative analysis to explore the data; (6) present the provisional results of their research in a short oral presentation; and (7) write the results in a professional academic manner in the format of an academic journal paper.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following way: continuing assessment. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Linda Robson
- Unit rules
- the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of Level 3 units in their undergraduate major (these units must be relevant to the masters' specialisation);
the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of Level 3, 4 and 5 units completed within the course. An approved supervisor must have confirmed their willingness and availability to supervise the research project.
- GEOG5012 Master's Research Project in Geography, Environment and Planning Part 2
- SCIE5590 Literature Review and Research Proposal, SCIE5511 Science Research Project Part 1, SCIE5512 Science Research Project Part 2, SCIE5513 Science Research Project Part 3
- Contact hours
- supervision sessions with one or two supervisors over two semesters; independent research and study. Students are guided in this process through an induction program starting the week before semester.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.