GRMN1002 German Studies 3B
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the GRMNP German Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- Elementary to intermediate German language skills are consolidated and developed further in order to aid students to make the transition to more advanced German language study. This intensive German unit allows students to focus in particular on developing their listening comprehension and speaking skills, as well as advancing to more complex written productions.
- Students are able to (1) consolidate their knowledge of German grammar and vocabulary; (2) extend their knowledge of German and English and their command of the languages through focus class topics, enabling them to understand a variety of language registers and to comprehend authentic written and spoken texts in a range of situations and contexts; (3) practise using German in a variety of situations and function appropriately in a German-speaking environment; (4) gain more confidence and fluency in their spoken German through regular speaking practice; (5) build on their cultural and linguistic understanding of German and German-speaking societies; and (6) reflect on their team work and personal progress as well as develop a sense of responsibility and ownership. Students gain an increased level of competency in all four language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing), allowing for proficiency levels ranging from A1 to A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Gemeinsamer Europaischer Referenzrahmen). Students demonstrate their knowledge of performance in theory and practice, and develop an increased awareness of intercultural understandings and memorising and communication strategies.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) written assignments; (2) oral presentation; and (3) participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Dale Adams
- Unit rules
- WACE Stage 2 German
- GRMN1403 German Studies 3
- Contact hours
- language classes: 1 x 2 hours per week (over 13 weeks, involves a mix of formal instruction by the tutor, class discussions, group and pair work on linguistic and cultural issues, as well as presentations and role plays)
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.