GRMN1402 German Beginners 2
- 6 points
(see Summer Timetable)
Availability Location Mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face Summer teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the GRMNB German Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit follows on from GRMN1401 German Beginners 1. It builds on the introduction to German grammar and vocabulary, further developing students' ability to communicate orally and in writing in everyday situations. It focuses on contemporary spoken and written language used in German-speaking countries and uses authentic texts and audiovisual materials to deepen students' understanding of German culture and society.
Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Gemeinsamer Europaischer Referenzrahmen).
The unit leads to GRMN2403 German Studies 3. In Level 2 and 3 German units, students have the opportunity to not only increase language competency but to further engage with German history and culture (including literature, film, music and science) and to take advantage of a range of exchange possibilities, including our short-term Stuttgart Winter University program.
- Students are able to (1) further develop elementary skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in the German language; (2) be familiar with a broader range of sociolinguistic conventions in German; (3) have an increased knowledge of culture and society in German-speaking countries; (4) further develop independent learning skills and interpersonal skills; and (5) have a deeper awareness of language and language use in both German and in English.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) short tests; (2) oral tasks; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Dale Adams
- Unit rules
- GRMN1401 German Beginners 1
equivalent, with the consent of the convener
- GRMN1102 German Beginners II
- Contact hours
- semester 2 lectures: 1 x 1 hour per week (over 13 weeks); language classes: 1 x 2 hours per week (over 13 weeks) plus 1 x 1 hour per week (over 12 weeks); summer teaching period: 12 hours (3 x 4 hours) per week over 4 weeks
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2 [SEM-2 ]
This unit is a continuation of GRMN1401 and uses the same textbook package as German Beginners 1. No additonal materials are required.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.