HART1000 Great Moments in Art
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the History of Art major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit provides a survey-style introduction to art history from the late Middle Ages to the present day. Each week students are presented with an in-depth study of a significant ‘moment', a canonical artwork that captures its period and culture. These moments are then placed into wider historical, political or social contexts, introducing students to key tenets of art historical discourse. The unit trains students in visual literacy, the reading of images in our increasingly visual world, as well as basic communication and research skills, which prepare students for a range of disciplines.
- Students are able to (1) know the basic historical and cultural contexts of some key examples of art and design; (2) undertake basic visual and analysis of the formal properties of art and design objects; (3) use a range of different texts to develop basic historical and critical interpretations of images; (4) acquire the protocols of basic research techniques used in art historiography such as some specialised critical vocabulary, different formats of reporting, essay writing and referencing; and (5) develop basic communication skills in interpersonal relations, oral discussion and essay writing on art and design works.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) written assignment; (2) oral participation; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Susanne Meurer
- Unit rules
- VISA1000 Great Moments in Art
- Contact hours
- lectures: 2 hours per week; Practical Classes: 1 hour per week
- This unit examines art as a form of cultural history. In its content and outcomes, it pairs well with the theoretical focus of HART1003 Ways of Seeing: Themes and Theories in Art, but may be taken independently as well.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.