HUMA2901 Arts Practicum
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face Summer teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Non-standard teaching period Albany Face to face Semester 1 Albany Face to face Semester 2 Albany Face to face Summer teaching period Albany Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 elective
- This unit gives Level 2 Arts students the opportunity to gain credit for supervised projects in working situations in the public and private sectors. It provides students with an opportunity to apply, enhance and develop generic skills gained through their Arts studies in a workplace context. The practicum offers students access to professional responsibilities, participation in group and independent problem-solving scenarios and exposure to workplace communication (written and oral), needs and practices.
- Students are able to (1) identify relevant generic skills acquired through their study in Arts for application in the workplace context; (2) evaluate the application of the relevant generic skills to their Arts Practicum placement; (3) demonstrate initiative and the ability to work independently, as required by the host supervisor in their Arts Practicum placement; and (4) successfully demonstrate a range of effective workplace communications at UWA and in the Arts Practicum placement.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) work placement (100 hours); (2) a practicum portfolio; and (3) a reflective assignment. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Mr Peter Robinson
- Unit rules
- completion of at least eight units and enrolment in a major in the Bachelor of Arts
- HUMA2210 Arts Practicum 1; HUMA2211 Arts Practicum 2
- Contact hours
- industry experience: 100 hours
- Students wishing to undertake this unit must obtain permission to enrol by visiting the Arts Practicum website and submitting an expression of interest by the published deadline for the desired semester.
A student who withdraws from HUMA2901 Arts Practicum after confirmation of placement with the host organisation will be declared to have failed the unit unless the Faculty is satisfied that there were exceptional circumstances to justify withdrawal.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.