INDO1402 Indonesian 2
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the INDNB Indonesian Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit continues on from INDO1401 Indonesian 1, introducing students to contemporary spoken and written Indonesian. Students develop all four skill areas (speaking, listening, writing and reading) in Indonesian, with an emphasis on oral skills. The unit also aims to familiarise students with some of the ways in which Indonesian culture and ways of living (e.g. eating, addressing people, using the bathroom) are different from those commonly found in Australia. A larger, intangible but very important objective is to kindle an interest in Indonesia, its people and their cultures.
The main objective is for students to develop 'basic transactional proficiency' in Indonesian or Level 1 as described in the International Second Language Proficiency Ratings (Elaine Wylie and D. E. Ingram, Griffith University, 1995).
- Students are able to (1) describe their family, immediate surroundings and daily routines, become acquainted with the history of the Indonesian language and be aware of Indonesia as a nation-state; they are able to speak about some of the ways in which Indonesian culture and ways of living are different from those commonly found in Australia and achieve 'basic transactional proficiency' (level 1+) as defined by the International Second Language Proficiency Ratings; (2) initiate and sustain simple conversations in Indonesian; satisfy their basic transactional needs through speaking and listening in Indonesian; (3) conduct culturally appropriate, simple conversations, adjusting terms of address according to social status; and (4) understand simple texts and write a short series of original sentences related to their own transactional needs and on topics related to everyday life.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation; (2) assignments; and (3) tests. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Theresia Seputro
- Unit rules
- INDO1401 Indonesian 1
INDO1101 Indonesian Beginners I
- INDO1102 Indonesian Beginners II
- Contact hours
- 4 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2 [SEM-2 ]
Rafferty, E. et al. Let’s Speak Indonesian/Ayo Berbahasa Indonesia, vol. 1: NUS Press Singapore 2014
Rafferty, E. et al. Let’s Speak Indonesian/Ayo Berbahasa Indonesia, vol. 2: NUS Press Singapore 2014
Rafferty, E. et al. Indonesian Grammar in Context/Asyik Berbahasa Indonesia, vol. 2: NUS Press Singapore 2014
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.