INDO2801 Indonesian In-country 5
- 24 points
|Semester 1||Indonesia||Face to face|
|Semester 2||Indonesia||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- Substitute unit for any four Level 2 units (24 points) for the Indonesian Studies major
- This is a full-semester unit which enables students to undertake intensive language study at a university in Indonesia to develop their oral and written skills to a high level. It is offered as an alternative to any Indonesian language unit above the level of INDO2403 Indonesian 3 as well as ASIA3001 Indonesian Politics and Culture. The details of the academic program that students do at their host university in Indonesia depend on which units students choose to take. Besides taking language subjects, students normally study a range of regular non-language subjects offered by the host university in which the language of instruction is Indonesian. As well as enabling students to gain a high level of fluency in spoken and written Indonesian, the unit exposes students to a whole new world of experience. Living and studying independently in Indonesia for a semester helps students develop a range of invaluable life skills and cultural competencies.
- Students are able to develop, through four months of intensive instruction in Indonesian language and culture, their oral and written skills to a high level and achieve a high level of familiarity with social norms, culture and language use in Indonesia, preparing them for a wide range of social and employment contexts.
- Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor David Bourchier
- Unit rules
- completion of one year of Indonesian language studies at this University
- Contact hours
- determined by host university
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2A [SEM-2A ]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.