ITAL2403 Italian Studies 3
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 1 Albany Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the ITLNB Italian Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit is designed for students who have completed ITAL1402 Italian Studies 2 or who have equivalent knowledge of the language. It develops the students' ability to communicate in Italian by providing intensive practice in oral and written language, and enriches students' understanding of the culture of modern Italy. The unit leads to ITAL2404 Italian Studies 4.
Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Quadro Comune Europeo di Riferimento per le Lingue).
- Students are able to (1) have a degree of competency in spoken and written Italian that enables them to be confident users of the language in most situations they are likely to encounter in everyday life; (2) produce a narrative text (oral and written) using basic temporal structures and refer to future events using appropriate verb tenses; (3) describe, make comparisons, suggestions and requests; (4) read and comprehend texts from contemporary literary and non-literary sources; (5) have an increased awareness of how language works in general (metalinguistic skills); (6) have an understanding of certain historical, social and cultural aspects of Italian society; (7) have interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively in pairs and small groups; and (8) work independently.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) participation; (2) online quizzes; and (3) tests. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Simon Tebbit
- Unit rules
- ITAL1402 Italian Studies 2
ITAL1102 Italian Beginners 2
- ITAL2203 Italian Intermediate I
- Contact hours
- interactive lecture and language classes: 3 hours per week (over 13 weeks)
Lists of texts are available from the European Languages and Studies web page.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.