ITAL2404 Italian Studies 4
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 Albany Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the ITLNB Italian Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit builds on the progress made in ITAL2403 Italian Studies 3 and aims to extend grammatical knowledge and communicative skills, both written and oral. It further develops the students' ability to communicate in Italian by providing intensive practice in oral and written language, and enriches students' understanding of the culture of modern Italy. The unit leads to ITAL3405 Italian Studies 5.
Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A2/B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Quadro Comune Europeo di Riferimento per le Lingue).
- Students are able to (1) speak, listen, read and write in Italian about a good range of topics; (2) use language in the appropriate context; (3) express themselves with a good degree of grammatical correctness; (4) have a good understanding of the Italian grammar; (5) read and comprehend texts from contemporary literary and non-literary sources; (6) critically address aspects of the Italian culture; (7) have an increased awareness of how language works in general (metalinguistic skills); (8) develop interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively in pairs and small groups; and (9) work independently.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) assignments; (2) class participation; and (3) tests. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Simon Tebbit
- Unit rules
- ITAL2403 Italian Studies 3
ITAL2203 Italian Intermediate 1
- ITAL2204 Italian Intermediate II
- Contact hours
- interactive lecture and language classes: 3 hours per week (over 13 weeks). The interactive lecture involves group discussions; and language classes involve a mix of formal instruction by the tutor, group work on linguistic and cultural topics, class discussions and role plays.
Lists of texts are available from the European Languages and Studies web page.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.