ITAL2812 The Shape of Italian: Communicating Between Worlds
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the ITLNI Italian Studies; ITLNA Italian Studies major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit is designed for second-year students in the WACE and near-native streams. It may also be taken by students in the Beginners stream but not as part of their major sequence.
The unit introduces formal description of the Italian language, from sounds to words to sentence structure. Particular attention is paid to issues that are problematical for English-language learners of Italian. The unit also analyses recent developments in Italian, including the contact with English, both in Italy and in Australia.
- Students are able to (1) analyse formal structures of Italian phonology, morphology and syntax; (2) analyse language contact and interference communities abroad; (3) present, in Italian, an analysis of a linguistic problem involving the English and Italian languages; and (4) read and write the Italian language at Level B1/B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) tests; (2) a research project; and (3) tutorial participation and presentation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Marinella Caruso
- Unit rules
- ITAL1402 Italian Studies 2
ITAL1404 Italian Studies 4
- ITAL2223 The World of Dante; ITAL2224 History of Italian Theatre; ITAL2225 Italy from Romanticism to Realism; ITAL2231 The Literature of the Renaissance
- Contact hours
- lectures: 2 x 1 hour per week (over 10 weeks); Practical Classes: 1 x 1 hour per week (over 10 weeks)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2 [SEM-2 ]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.