JAPN1402 Japanese 2
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face Non-standard teaching period Hong Kong Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the JPNSB Japanese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit is designed to build upon language skills developed in JAPN1401 Japanese 1. It further develops linguistic and cultural competency at the beginners' level. The unit emphasises the four linguistic skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) equally, and students are able to demonstrate their control of basic vocabulary and sentence patterns in both the common polite and neutral registers, expanding spoken and written communicative competence to include simple description of present and past actions. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level (JLPTL) N5 or the International Second Language Proficiency Ratings (ISLPR) Level 1.
- Students are able to (1) sufficiently understand the Japanese language to be able to communicate above a basic level with native speakers with reference to everyday situations; (2) read and write an additional 100 kanji without reference to a dictionary; (3) write simple letters and compositions; (4) comprehend straightforward Japanese texts; and (5) have an enhanced understanding of Japanese cultural practices that are important for communication. Additionally, students refine generic skills such as understanding self and others, understanding of language in general, and learning to express their ideas and performing assigned tasks in Japanese language. These, in turn, enhance students' interpersonal skills and communication skills in Japanese and English.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) an oral presentation; (2) an in-class writing task; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Kyoko Kawasaki
- Unit rules
- JAPN1401 Japanese 1
JAPN1101 Japanese Beginners I
- JAPN1102 Japanese Beginners II
- Contact hours
- 4 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2 [SEM-2 ]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.