JAPN1403 Japanese 3
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the JPNSP Japanese Studies; JPNSI Japanese Studies major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit further develops linguistic and cultural competency and expands familiarity with a range of topics and sociocultural demands. The unit emphasises the four language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) equally and prepares students' proficiency to meet routine practical and social needs that are relevant to students at tertiary level. The unit covers practical functions such as expressing permission, asking for and giving advice, describing probability, and reporting hearsay. It equips students with the ability to discern the different registers, including the colloquial and formal, used according to different social situations. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the International Second Language Proficiency Ratings (ISLPR) Level 1+.
- Students are able to (1) express their observations and ideas about familiar social topics with effective use of expressions used in practical functions such as expressing permission, asking for and giving advice, describing probability, reporting hearsay, stating their opinion and expressing their ability; (2) grasp simple, conversations in everyday social interactions; (3) comprehend basic Japanese texts with the help of a dictionary and other resources; (4) write short compositions with some depth in Japanese; (5) read approximately 80 new kanji; (6) increase knowledge of Japanese cultural practices that are important for effective communication; and (7) acquire information literacy and management skills through a variety of media and search techniques including the use of a dictionary. Additionally, students refine generic skills such as understanding self and others, understanding of language in general, and critical analysis through learning to express their ideas and performing assigned tasks in Japanese.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) tests; (2) research projects; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Kyoko Kawasaki
- Unit rules
- ATAR Japanese Year 12
(ATAR Japanese: Year 11 and co-requisite JAPN1001 Japanese 3A)
approval of the unit coordinator
- JAPN1001 Japanese 3A if student has only completed ATAR Japanese Year 11
- JAPN1103 Japanese Intermediate I
JAPN2203 Japanese Intermediate I
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.