JAPN2405 Japanese 5
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the JPNSP Japanese Studies; JPNSI Japanese Studies major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit follows on from JAPN2404 Japanese 4 and provides further development of linguistic and cultural competency, including the ability to read short news articles from print and electronic media. While the unit covers the four linguistic skills, it has an increased focus upon the use of sociolinguistic elements such as ultra-formal registers, as well as upon engagement with prose texts rather than dialogues. It increases learners' effective communication skills to meet routine practical and social demands relevant to students at tertiary level. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the International Second Language Proficiency Ratings (ISLPR) Level 2+.
- Students are able to (1) read and translate brief passages of journalistic Japanese; (2) recognise appropriate circumstances for the use of formal and informal Japanese, and speak and write in an appropriate register; (3) understand spoken Japanese which incorporates different registers; (4) discuss in Japanese their ideas on contemporary social and cultural issues in Japan; (5) develop skills in undertaking research and express their findings in both spoken and written forms, while cultivating critical reading and translation skills; and (6) develop information literacy and management skills through a variety of media and search techniques including the use of a dictionary. Additionally, through learning to express their ideas and performing assigned tasks in Japanese, students refine generic skills such as understanding self and others, understanding of language in general, and critical analysis.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) tests; (2) oral assessments; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Laura Dales
- Unit rules
- JAPN1404 Japanese 4
JAPN1104 Japanese Intermediate II
JAPN2404 Japanese 4
JAPN2204 Japanese Intermediate II
- JAPN2205 Japanese Advanced I
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.