JAPN2407 Japanese 7
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit follows on from JAPN1406 Japanese 6. It expands students' linguistic skills in Japanese and their cultural literacy, develops academic interest in contemporary social and cultural issues in Japan, and equips students with effective expressions and communication techniques via the high-level linguistic structures and vocabulary used in contemporary Japanese spoken and written discourses. Students further develop their skills in (1) speaking and listening, by means of a research project presentation, discussion and academic registers in spoken language; and (2) reading and writing, by means of essay writing in academic format, critical reading of Japanese newspaper and journal articles, and Japanese-to-English translation. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the International Second Language Proficiency Ratings (ISLPR) Level 3+.
- Students are able to (1) read and translate authentic Japanese materials and discuss their ideas on contemporary social and cultural issues in Japan; (2) conduct research by collecting and analysing materials in both Japanese and English; (3) express their research findings and ideas logically in both spoken and written forms of Japanese; (4) develop specialist vocabularies in areas relating to Japanese social and cultural issues; and (5) demonstrate a broad understanding of diverse social and cultural values and refine generic skills such as understanding self and others, understanding of language in general, and critical analysis through learning to express their ideas and performing assigned tasks in the Japanese language.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) written assignments; (2) oral assessment; and (3) examinations. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Kyoko Kawasaki
- Unit rules
- JAPN1406 Japanese 6
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.