KORE1401 Korean 1
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Non-standard teaching period Hong Kong Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the Korean Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit provides an introduction to Korean grammar and vocabulary, giving students the confidence to communicate with Koreans on basic everyday language topics both orally and in writing. No previous knowledge of Korea or Korean language is required. The unit develops intercultural communication skills as well as confidence in listening, speaking, reading and writing Korean. It provides a good basis for an intercultural understanding of Korean culture and society through situating the use of Korean language in relevant social and cultural contexts. The unit is useful for broadening students' international outlook, and for developing independent learning skills.
- Students are able to (1) communicate at beginner level in written and oral Korean on everyday topics; (2) apply appropriate beginner-level Korean language to selected cultural social situations; (3) apply a variety of learning strategies relevant to the areas of syntax, semantics and phonetics; (4) have an understanding of the Korean culture and society and how they inform basic sociolinguistic conventions in contemporary Korean language use; (5) achieve a comparative understanding of language and language use, in both Korean and English; (6) apply basic methods of linguistic and cultural analysis, particularly in relation to contrastive modes in language learning; and (7) develop basic methods of analysis relevant to language learning, as well as research and problem-solving skills through analysis of language structures and through use of resource materials (such as dictionaries) to solve problems of language form. Upon successful completion of this unit, students achieve basic language skills in preparation to achieve proficiency equivalent to Level 1 on the TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) scale upon successful completion of KORE1402 in Semester 2.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) written tests and assignments; (2) oral presentation; and (3) class participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Nicola Fraschini
- Contact hours
- lectures: 1 hour per week; Practical Classes: 1 x 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1 : http://www.unitoutlines.arts.uwa.edu.au/Units/KORE1401/SEM-1/2018
TS-QTR-A2 : http://www.unitoutlines.arts.uwa.edu.au/Units/KORE1401/TS-QTR-A2/2018
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.